Cottage Food Laws: Allowable Products, Ingredients, and GRAS Guidelines
Publication Date: January 10, 2018
Included here resources for Cottage Food Operators under Montana’s Cottage Food Law, including a list of allowable/approved cottage foods, allowable ingredients, and Frequently Asked Questions about GRAS for substances intended for use in human or animal food.
- Approved Cottage Food Products – Montana Rule 37.110.503 – Effective beginning September 25, 2015
- DHPPS Food Ingredient Guidance Document – Published January 10, 2018
- US DPHHS & FDA Frequently Asked Questions about GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) for Substances Intended for Use in Human or Animal Food – Published October 2016
The short answer is as follows!
What ingredients are allowed in regular food?
Ingredients allowed in human food nearly always fall into one of the following categories:
- Conventional food
- Approved additives
- Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS)
- Value-Added Producer Toolkit